Title: Traditional Carbonara
Broadcast: Episode 5, 5th August, 2018
Presenters: Theo Kalogeracos & Nikki Heyder
Theo and Nikki cook up a mouth-watering Carbonara, with a recipe shared with Theo by his Venetian friend Riccardo when holiday in Margaret River who learnt it from his Grandmother.
Serves – 4
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 garlic cloves, Lightly crushed
- 200 gm of bacon or pancetta cut into cubes
- 500gm pack of thick spaghetti
- 4 eggs separated, 1 large bowl of egg yolks and a bowl of egg whites.
- 4 tbsps of grated parmigiano
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 4 poached eggs
- Parmigiano to serve
- Crusty bread to serve
- Bring a large pot of water with a handful of salt to the boil on a high flame.
- As you wait for the water to come to the boil, prepare the rest of the dish.
- In a large fry pan over a medium heat, add the oil, garlic and pancetta and cook for 5 minutes until the pancetta starts to cook and get coloured. Take off the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl with the egg yolks, add the parmesan and black pepper. Mis till it is a smooth and thick consistency.
- In the other bowl containing the egg whites, use a whisk to whip the egg whites until they are light and fluffy.
- Add ¾ of the whites to the to the yolk mixture and gently fold in, keeping the remaining egg whites for plating up at the end.
- Once the water comes to the boil, add the spaghetti following the cooking instructions on the pack, make sure you cook the spaghetti al dente and strain the pasta from the water.
- Add the hot strained pasta straight into the bowl with the egg yolk mix, add the cooked pancetta and garlic on top of the pasta and stir gently till it is all coated and evenly mixed and divide over 4 bowls.
- Add a poached egg to the top of the pasta and a scoop of the fluffy egg whites on top of the poached egg.
- Serve with parmigiano cheese and crusty bread.
Cut open the poached egg and allow the egg yolk to run into the pasta, creating the best smooth and richest sauce ever. Thanks Riccardo you legend!