Story: Sugar Reduction
Airdate: Ep 4, 19 May 2019
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
How much sugar is in your diet? Trevor gives some insight for those sweet tooths out there and offers an alternative than can be grown right in your own garden.
- Most foods today have some level of sugar in them, but what if we told you that there’s an alternative without compromise? Stevia is a herb that is 30 times sweeter than sugar without the calories!
- This wonder-herb comes from South America and it could change your life. Try this for starts: just add half a leaf to your coffee in the morning instead of a teaspoon of sugar!
- Stevia has an interesting socio-political history too. Stevia was declared a narcotic not too long ago in the US. You might ask ‘Why?’ The answer is: sugar. George W. Bush came from Texas, and Texas is one of the biggest sugar producers in the US. The effective ban on stevia didn’t last too long though. President Obama repealed it just weeks after taking office.
- Just weeks later, both Coca-cola and Pepsi released new products using stevia instead of sugar, recognising the need for cutting down on sugar consumption.
- Stevia is great in cooking, baking, in your drinks and anything else you’d like to sweeten without boosting your calorie intake!
- Stevia is easy to grow in your garden at home too! They love a sunny spot and to be harvested regularly.
- Or you can pick up stevia from your local nursery or garden centre!